· MD (Internal Medicine), PGIMER, Chandigarh
· DM (Hepatology), PGIMER, Chandigarh
Dr. Pramod Kumar is a Consultant Hepatologist and liver transplant physician currently
working at BGS Global Hospitals, Bengaluru. He completed his MD in Internal Medicine and
DM in Hepatology from the prestigious Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and
Research, Chandigarh. He is comprehensively trained in managing all complex liver diseases,
while his special interests include managing patients with refractory ascites, liver cancer, and
alcohol-related liver disease. He is also well experienced in optimizing liver transplantation
patients, managing post-liver transplant complications, and long-term management of liver
transplant recipients. He was previously worked as a consultant at the Asian Institute of
gastroenterology Hospital, Hyderabad, India’s foremost center for gastroenterology and liver
diseases for two and half years. He has more than 50 publications in national and international
journals like NEJM, Hepatology, Gastroenterology and Liver transplantation. He is a life
member of INASL, International Club of Ascites, Vascular liver disease group and
International Liver Transplantation Society.
Areas of Interest
a. Alcohol-related liver disease
b. Hepatocellular carcinoma
c. ABO Incompatible liver transplantation
d. Stem cell therapy for alcoholic hepatitis
e. Drug-induced liver injury
f. Viral hepatitis
g. Acute liver failure and acute on chronic liver failure
h. Rejection in liver transplant recipients
i. Fatty liver disease
1. Life Member of the International Club of Ascites. (ICA)
2. Life member of Indian Association for Study of Liver. (INASL)
3. Life Member of Liver transplantation society of India (LTSI)
4. Member of international liver transplantation society. (ILTS)
5. Life member of Vascular liver disease group (VALDIG)
6. Member of American association for the study of liver diseases (AASLD)
7. Member of European association for the study of the liver (EASL)
a) Won INASL –ABBOTT presidential poster award in INASL Conference, 2016 held at
b) Travel award for transplant hepatology preceptorship program in NUCOT Liver
transplant symposium, 2016 held at Singapore
c) Invited speaker at INASL Conference SIG meeting on ascites about the current status
of beta blockers, 2017 held at Delhi
d) Invited speaker at a 2nd international conference on ascites about beta blockers, 2019
held at Chandigarh
e) Invited speaker at ICMR-National Institute of Nutrition, Hyderabad
1. Pramod Kumar, Sunil Taneja, Virendra Singh. Treatment of Patients with Cirrhosis.
N Engl J Med. 2016 ;375:2102-3.
2. Borkakoty A, Pramod Kumar, Sunil Taneja. Hepatic Encephalopathy. N Engl J
Med. 2017 ;376 :186.
3. Rathi S, Pramod Kumar. Drug-Induced Liver Injury – Types and Phenotypes. N Engl J
Med. 2019 ;381:1395.
4. Pramod Kumar, Rao PN. Hepatopulmonary Syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2020 ; 5;382
5. Pramod Kumar, Sunil Taneja, Virendra Singh. Does the dose and type of non-selective
beta blocker really matter?. Hepatology. 2017 ;66:301-302.
6. Pramod Kumar, Sunil Taneja, Virendra Singh. Beta-blockers in patients with advanced
liver disease: Has the dust settled?. Liver Transpl. 2017 ;23:1351-1352.
7. Pramod Kumar, Kulkarni A. UDCA therapy in intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy
J Hepatol. 2020 ;72 :586-587.
8. Pramod Kumar, Kulkarni A, Sharma M, et al. Repurposing Hepatitis C Direct-Acting
Antivirals Against COVID-19. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2021;11(2):273-275.
9. Pramod Kumar , Sharma M, Sulthana SF, Kulkarni A, Rao PN, Reddy DN. Severe
Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2-related Acute-on-chronic Liver Failure. J
Clin Exp Hepatol. 2021;11(3):404-406.
10. Pramod Kumar, Reddy S, Kulkarni A, et al. Cyproterone Acetate-Induced Acute Liver
Failure: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Clin Exp Hepatol.
11. Pramod Kumar, Sharma M, Kulkarni A, et al. Pathogenesis of Liver Injury in
Coronavirus Disease 2019. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2020;10(6):641-642.
12. Pramod Kumar, Kulkarni A, Sharma M, et al. Favipiravir-induced Liver Injury in
Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019. J Clin Transl Hepatol. 2021;9(2):276-278.
13. Kulkarni AV, Pramod Kumar, Sharma M, et al. Living Donor Liver Transplantation or
Deceased Donor Liver Transplantation in High Model for End-Stage Liver Disease
Score-Which Is Better?. Hepatology. 2021;73(6):2619-2620.
14. Sharma M, Kulkarni A, Pramod Kumar, et al. Difference in lifestyle and metabolic
profile of non-alcoholic fatty liver disease with raised alanine amino-transferases
between obese and non-overweight subjects. Sci Rep. 2020 17;10 :15232.
15. Wong F, Piano S, Singh V, … Pramod Kumar et al. Clinical features and evolution of
bacterial infection-related acute-on-chronic liver failure. J Hepatol. 2021
16. Piano S , Singh V , Caraceni P,… Pramod Kumar et al. International Club of Ascites
Global Study Group. Epidemiology and Effects of Bacterial Infections in Patients With
Cirrhosis Worldwide. Gastroenterology. 2019;156:1368-1380.
17. Singh A , Kumari S , Pramod Kumar , et al. Sofosbuvir with NS5A Inhibitors in
Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Infection with Severe Renal Insufficiency. J Viral
Hepat. 2018 ;25 :1501-1506.
18. Kulkarni AV, Pramod Kumar, Tevethia HV, et al. Systematic review with metaanalysis: liver manifestations and outcomes in COVID-19. Aliment Pharmacol Ther.
2020 ;52 :584-599.
19. Kulkarni, AV, Pramod Kumar, Singh, S, et al. Prevention of paracentesis‐induced
circulatory dysfunction—A systematic review and network meta‐
analysis. GastroHep. 2020; 2: 92– 101.
20. Sunil Taneja, Pramod Kumar, Sahaj Rathi, et al.Acute Liver Failure Due to Etodolac,
a Selective Cycloxygenase- 2 (COX -2) Inhibitor Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory
Drug Established by RUCAM-Based Causality Assessment. Ann Hepatol. 2017;16
21. Nipun Verma, Pramod Kumar, Suvradeep Mitra, et al . Drug idiosyncracy due to
pirfenidone presenting as acute liver failure: a case report and mini-review of literature.
Hepatology communications. 2017 : 27;2:142-147
22. Virendra Singh, Pramod Kumar. Endoscopic Doppler Ultrasound Probe: Useful in the
Management of Gastric Varices? Dig Dis Sci. 2017 ; 62: 2958.
23. Sunil Taneja, Pramod Kumar, Vikas Gautam, et al. Spontaneous Bacterial Peritonitis
by Burkholderia cepacia Complex: A Rare, Difficult to Treat Infection in
Decompensated Cirrhotic Patients. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2017 ;7:102-106.
24. Kulkarni AV, Parthasarathy K, Pramod Kumar, et al. Early liver transplantation after
COVID-19 infection: The first report. Am J Transplant. 2021;21(6):2279-2284.
Need some advice from our experts?
Request a Call Back Today Now!
We will make a single attempt to contact you from a withheld number, usually within 24 hours of your request.